While little black dresses and rich jewel tones are always a gorgeous and chic choice for prom, little white dresses are a bright and fun alternative for spring. Long reserved for brides and summer cocktail parties, white dresses flatter in a variety of cuts and styles.
Light coloured dresses, especially stunning white prom dresses, can be a challenge to keep clean and pristine. Between makeup, dinner and dancing, there are just too many opportunities for stain mishaps. So, what can a glam girl do when she wants to shine in a white gown? Read on for tips and tricks for keeping that perfect white dress bright and spotless.
DEALING WITH SPILLS AND MESSES
Different fabrics need different care and different stains respond to different treatment. Planning ahead can save a lot of trouble if someone spills cran-apple cider on you, so be sure to consider the fabric of the dress before treating any spill or stain.
- Treat stains as quickly as possible.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for garment care. Dry Clean Only is one rule you never want to break when it comes to prom dresses.
- Gently blot wet stains right away with a clean, light-coloured cloth.
- Baking soda, lemon juice, and club soda can be mixed together for a quick solution that takes out many stains.
CARING FOR YOUR DRESS
Prom might only come around once a year, but a well-chosen dress might live several lives. Timeless styles make great cocktail dresses down the road. Or perhaps, you and your girlfriends want to plan a dress-swapping event. Many charitable organizations also take donated dressed for low-income women and girls. In all of these cases, or if you just want to save your dress for a future Halloween costume, caring for the garment is a wise idea. Here are some fail-safe tips for caring for your dress so it’s flawless and ready for all adventures.
- Use the right type of hanger. Notched hangers can damage dresses and tear off sequins and details. Look for a hanger with smooth, straight design for best results.
- Hang your dress using the ribbons sewn inside the upper part of the dress. To keep the hem of the dress clean and avoid fraying, ensure the dress is hung high enough so it’s off the ground.
- A cool, dark closet is the best place to store your dress. Make sure it’s away from any windows as sunlight can fade and ruin fabric.
- For extending the life of the dress and maintaining that bright white look, consider dry cleaning dresses in between uses.
Above all, have fun lighting up the night in whatever white gown matches your mood. A bright, prom-perfect dress that makes you feel like a dancing queen all night long is easily accessorized with almost any colour of jewellery, shoes and, of course, a dazzling smile.